May 22, 2013

Book Review: Icons By Margaret Stohl

        What would you do if your whole life was controlled by the government? If you had no say in what to do? If your parents and all family were dead, and you had nobody? Welcome to my world. I am Doloria Maria de la Cruz, and I am an Icon child.......
        Icons is a future based book where everyone's lives are controlled by the Embassy. The Embassy is controlled by the House of the Lords, who came here on The Day. The day when they took over Earth, and everyone's lives changed. That's all that Doloria has ever known, the Embassy and the House of the Lords. I like the fact that it is based in the future. It's kind of science fiction, because the world has been taken over by aliens.
        The main character is Doloria and her best friend Ro. They live out in the country, which is known as the Mission. Ro has, well I'll just put it nicely, Ro has some slight anger issues. If anyone comes close to Doloria, someone he doesn't like, he will not hesitate to break a few of their bones to protect his best friend. Doloria is a nice girl, yet towards the middle to end of the book, you start to see a side of her that's a little emotional. Then, there's Lucas, who they meet along the way. Lucas is logical, and  definitely not the type of guy to just do something. He always thinks thoroughly before doing anything. Tima is quiet, and keeps to herself a lot. You don't find out much about her until you really get into the book.
        Ok, so you're probably wondering what in the world is going on in the book. Well, I'm not going to tell you everything, just some basic information. First of all, like I said earlier, the world is run by the Lords. You do something wrong, they get mad. There is also, like you might have guessed  a group that goes against them, the Rebellion. It is VERY dangerous and risky to join this group. So Doloria, Ro, Tima, and Lucas more or less "join" the Rebellion. They try to take down the Icons just like the rest of the Rebellion. Icons are what the Lords placed on the 13 biggest cities in the world. The energy pulse from the Icon destroyed the cities. So there are 13 Icons, that's a pretty large amount of energy! Anybody that steps too close, instantly drops dead. It's kind of scary......
My Final Thoughts
Icons is a GREAT book. Especially if you love books with action, adventure, and a little bit of mystery. I would definitely recommend   it to anyone. It's not a very quick read, however. If you're looking for a book that you could whip right through, you might not want to read this book. You never know, you might want to try something new. I just have one quick question to everyone reading this. What would you do if your whole life changed literally over night, and you suddenly had no say in what to do?

1 comment:

  1. To have my whole life change overnight and I suddenly lost all control would be my worst nightmare because I am a control freak. I would be devestated, I can't imagine a life without free will and free choice. I think I would secretly find a way to fight back.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

What Book Should I Read???

Want to Read Pile

Books Reviewed by the Teens They Were Written For

Book Review: Icons By Margaret Stohl

        What would you do if your whole life was controlled by the government? If you had no say in what to do? If your parents and all family were dead, and you had nobody? Welcome to my world. I am Doloria Maria de la Cruz, and I am an Icon child.......
        Icons is a future based book where everyone's lives are controlled by the Embassy. The Embassy is controlled by the House of the Lords, who came here on The Day. The day when they took over Earth, and everyone's lives changed. That's all that Doloria has ever known, the Embassy and the House of the Lords. I like the fact that it is based in the future. It's kind of science fiction, because the world has been taken over by aliens.
        The main character is Doloria and her best friend Ro. They live out in the country, which is known as the Mission. Ro has, well I'll just put it nicely, Ro has some slight anger issues. If anyone comes close to Doloria, someone he doesn't like, he will not hesitate to break a few of their bones to protect his best friend. Doloria is a nice girl, yet towards the middle to end of the book, you start to see a side of her that's a little emotional. Then, there's Lucas, who they meet along the way. Lucas is logical, and  definitely not the type of guy to just do something. He always thinks thoroughly before doing anything. Tima is quiet, and keeps to herself a lot. You don't find out much about her until you really get into the book.
        Ok, so you're probably wondering what in the world is going on in the book. Well, I'm not going to tell you everything, just some basic information. First of all, like I said earlier, the world is run by the Lords. You do something wrong, they get mad. There is also, like you might have guessed  a group that goes against them, the Rebellion. It is VERY dangerous and risky to join this group. So Doloria, Ro, Tima, and Lucas more or less "join" the Rebellion. They try to take down the Icons just like the rest of the Rebellion. Icons are what the Lords placed on the 13 biggest cities in the world. The energy pulse from the Icon destroyed the cities. So there are 13 Icons, that's a pretty large amount of energy! Anybody that steps too close, instantly drops dead. It's kind of scary......
My Final Thoughts
Icons is a GREAT book. Especially if you love books with action, adventure, and a little bit of mystery. I would definitely recommend   it to anyone. It's not a very quick read, however. If you're looking for a book that you could whip right through, you might not want to read this book. You never know, you might want to try something new. I just have one quick question to everyone reading this. What would you do if your whole life changed literally over night, and you suddenly had no say in what to do?

1 comments:

Gina @ My Precious said...

To have my whole life change overnight and I suddenly lost all control would be my worst nightmare because I am a control freak. I would be devestated, I can't imagine a life without free will and free choice. I think I would secretly find a way to fight back.

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget